One of my favorite websites to visit is Gilt Groupe. The basic idea is that they feature a few designers a day and sell limited quantities of their clothing at huge discounts. The website more aptly describes it as,
Invitation Only Shopping
Gilt Groupe provides access, by invitation only, to Men’s, Women’s and Children’s coveted fashion and luxury brands at prices up to 70% off retail. Each sale lasts 36 hours and features hand selected styles from a single designer.
First Come, First Served
All sales take place only on http://www.gilt.com and our full collection of merchandise is always available at the start of the sale, so be sure to log on early.
To introduce each brand, our designer bios and reels give you a preview of upcoming sales, must-have pieces and featured designers.
I joined about a year ago and at first was kind of suspicious that the site would only feature little known brands. Contrary to that belief, I’ve been incredibly impressed with the selections (Helmut Lang, John Varvatos, Polo, Alexander McQueen, etc.), and they only seem to be getting better. My purchases from the website include:
Band of Outsiders Hunting Shirt: (Original $242, Gilt price was $108)
Band of Outsiders x Sperry Top-Siders: (Original $260ish, Gilt price was $98)
D.L. & Co. “Momento Mori” Collection Set: (Original $75, Gilt price was $28)
I really have nothing but good things to say about the website and can’t wait for a few collections to appear on the site (more BoO!). I heard that they moved from open membership to invitation only membership, so if you’d like an invitation, click here. I get a “referral incentive” if you use my invitation and buy something from the site, so please use mine if you’re going to make a purchase.
A few tips to make your experience better:
- Subscribe to the emails/RSS feeds to know about the sales in advance.
- Log into the page for the brand before the start of the sale (there will be a small description of the brand on the page). If you reload the brand page leading up to 11am CST, the sale will appear as soon as it goes online. This saves you from logging in from the main site at 11am and then navigating to the brand which wastes time.
- Use the filters on the upper right to only show your size.
- Purchase quickly! Once you add an item to your cart you have 10 minutes to checkout before you forfeit your items. If the item you are looking for sold out, you can go on the wait list in case someone deletes it from their cart (or forfeits the item).
- Don’t hold out. Once the item is sold out, it’s sold out. The prices don’t get lower as the sale goes on and after the 36 hours, it’s all over.